Mechano Growth Factor (MGF) is an isoform (a kind) of insulin-like growth factor, which is mainly produced after physical activity, but also consumption of anabolic steroids, hyperthermia and oxidation increase its secretion. Mechanical growth factor induces the division of myoblasts (growth muscle cells that are in a dormant state) and accelerates muscle growth and recovery. The effect is much the same as growth hormone, but it does not strengthen bone and cartilage.
Mechanical growth factor is a variant of IGF-1 (insulin-like growth factor produced in the liver when exposed to growth hormone), which is formed by splicing (sequentially joining individual elements of IGF-1 encoding RNA) in response to muscle tissue damage from exercise.
The physiological role of MGF has been well studied in an in vitro cell model and in experiments in mice. In contrast to IGF-1, mechanical growth factor mainly induces the division of dormant muscle cells through the activation of various receptors. A decrease in MGF synthesis is the main reason for the reduction of muscle mass in dystrophic patients and the elderly.
Application in Bodybuilding
The early use of MGF as a therapeutic drug was limited, as the compound is broken down within minutes when injected into the body. In the body, MGF is produced continuously, so the concentration remains at a high level for a long time. At the same time, it is impossible to inject the drug every 30 minutes. Scientists have found a simple and ingenious solution: pegylation. The mechanical growth factor molecule was combined with a polyethylene glycol molecule, which protects it from degradation without reducing its biological activity and effectiveness. Thus, all modern preparations are pegylated Peg-MGF, whereas pure MFR is meaningless.
Pegylated mechanical growth factor has a much higher bioavailability, is administered 2-3 times a week and maintains a high concentration for a long time. However, in the near future, pegylated peptides will be determined in the antidoping control. For example, the pegylated version of erythropoietin, Mirser, is determined for months, in contrast to EPO itself, where it counts literally in days. The drug is not administered orally, since it breaks down quickly in the digestive tract, as a rule MFR is administered subcutaneously.
A course of MGF
Although MGF is still undergoing clinical trials, a large number of bodybuilders in the Western world are already widely using this drug for muscle growth acceleration. As a result of the experience gained by trial and error, an optimal dosing regimen has now been formed:
- The average daily dose of Peg-MGF is 100-200 mcg, with a frequency of 2-3 times a week. Larger doses do not result in significant improvement of results.
- On training days, the drug is administered immediately after exercise in order to mimic as much as possible the physiological secretion because the natural mechanical growth factor is released by the body in response to tissue damage.
- The route of administration: subcutaneously with an insulin syringe. Sometimes intramuscular injections are made into the target muscles, although this approach makes no sense. If mechanical growth factor were to work locally, asymmetric muscle growth would be observed (similar in appearance to the use of synthol). There are a number of examples that show that regular injection in one buttock (because it was uncomfortable to put in the other with the left hand) over several courses did not result in preferential growth of that buttock, compared to the other.
- The course duration is 5-6 weeks.
Sometimes it is recommended to use the drug in mega-doses of up to 1000 mcg with a frequency of 3-4 times a week, before training, but according to reviews the final results increase insignificantly, so larger doses are inexpedient to use.
Unpelleted forms should not be purchased and used due to their extremely weak effect (destroyed during the first minutes by proteinase B).
- Storage conditions: in refrigerator (2-8C), protected from direct sunlight.
- Shelf life: 2 years. Shelf life of prepared solution 20-30 days in refrigerator.
In studies on rats, a single intramuscular injection of MFR resulted in a 25% increase in muscle cross-sectional area over three weeks. Using a similar administration regimen, insulin-like growth factor resulted in only a 15% increase in muscle cross-sectional area.
Also, mechanical growth factor was determined to be more effective for individuals of younger age. The higher the age, the lower the response of muscle tissue to administration of the drug.
Effects in bodybuilding (2012 revision of scientific sources)
The cumulative experience with mechanical growth factor showed that a 5-week course of the drug causes:
- Muscle growth through hyperplasia (acceleration of cell division), hypertrophy (increased cell volume) and prolongation of cell life, at all ages
- Decrease in body fat percentage by an average of 5-6%
- Increased endurance
- Increase muscle definition
- Increase venous prominence
- Growth of new blood vessels in muscles and bones (proven by Deng M, Wang Y. in 2012)
- Increased immune defense
- Improvement of skin properties
- Decrease in cholesterol levels
- Accelerated recovery
- Neuroprotective effect (protects the nervous system)
- Stimulation of bone marrow cell multiplication
- Suppresses cell apoptosis and preserves cardiac function after myocardial infarction
- Regeneration of all body tissues,
Side effects of mechanical growth factor (proven in studies):
- Nasal bleeding(does not occur in everyone)
- Swelling after a subcutaneous injection
- Itching after injection
- Tingling of the fingertips, which is rare.
- Inhibition of mineralization and differentiation of osteoblasts
A 2010 study by Armakolas A, Philippou A. confirmed the involvement of mechanical growth factor in the biology of human prostate cancer.
Increased heart rate. “Now with synthetic injections of MGF you can increase the pulse and so speed up recovery, and increase the muscle tissue cells by stimulating satelite cells into full maturity.”
Quality and fakes
Pegylated mechanical growth factor has been available on the black market since 2005, and is often purchased online. There is a tendency for the cost to go down.
As of 2012, fakes occur in 90% of cases (this opinion is also supported by Y. Bombela) since manufacturing of pegylated MGF is very difficult and expensive, which is why original preparations of such class are produced only in large laboratories and are sold at high cost. In addition, the lack of labeling on the vials can once again prove that they were purchased separately and then filled with some neutral powdered substance, or it is a banal gonadotropin without a label. The lack of effect in the vast majority of cases is confirmed by the numerous reviews on the forums. In some situations, the positive results are explained by the placebo effect, or a cheap anabolic agent in the composition.
If you intend to buy a mechanical growth factor, then at this moment it is better to order it on the trusted Chinese sites, although the question about the quality remains open.